Monday, November 12, 2007

Don't Hate. Instead, Appreciate

We popped a video over the weekend of a solo show I wrote, produced, and of course, starred in three years ago (or is it four?) called I'll Clean Out My Desk: Ten Jobs in Ten Minutes. It played to a sold out People's Improv Theater for a glorious one night run. Needless to say, I knocked the fuck off of the audience's socks with my finely-crafted prose which, I should add, was saturated with pants-pissing wit and followed by a mesmerizing dance number of my own choreography. Believe it. Now I don't want to spoil the show by giving you too many details in case I decide to do it in Vegas some day down the road, but there may have been a few props and a Power Point presentation involved, so, well, that's entertainment.

Anyway, I digress, because this post isn't actually about my show, it's about how fantastic I looked in the video of me onstage doing the show. My hair had recently seen up close and personal by a professional. My suit fit me like a glove, my legs were long and strong, my posture was regal; I was superbly poised. And my profile, well, something that the very glimpse of in a mirror or photograph normally sends me straight to Nausea Town was streamlined and swan-like. I was, in a word, smokin'! Smokinggggggggg.

And seeing this video for the first time in a few years I have to say, I was simply mesmerized. With myself. Laughing out loud at my own jokes. Admiring the broad on stage in the t.v. and thinking, Who is this girl?!?

What sucks about this revelation of fabulousness is, is that at the time, I'm sure thought I looked like shit. I no doubt was referencing the same tattered laundry list of crap to beat myself up with back then that I use now, and that's just sad, people. Sad. What's wrong with human nature that makes us unappreciate the beauty in the now? Why can't we love who we are today? Why don't we love ourselves? Why can't we be free to be you and me? They say you should look in the mirror and grin because today you are one day younger than you will be tomorrow or something like that, and that's obviously true. Time marches, yo. Can't stop it. Don't even try.

Sigh.

And that sigh is where I leave you with the moral of this post, which has clearly revealed itself to me just now:


We all need to realize what's really important. And that is that I looked really fuckin' good three years ago. (Or was it four?)

3 comments:

Del-V said...

I blame Hollywood and youth culture. I think everyone looks good. Except for ugly people and fat people. And that's why ugly and fat people aren't on TV or in movies. Because I am shallow and I won’t like watching TV shows about people who remind me of the fat, ugly losers I see on the subway every morning.

However, I think you are totally adorable! You should be on TV or in the movies. Or possibly the radio.

So when are you going to post this amazing performance on youtube?

Fargrave said...

You-tube it already! By the way, your post reminded me of the quote from Office Space:
Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.

I personally think things are only going to get better (*knocks on wood*).

Rock on Anne!

Sans Pantaloons said...

Ha! You are still one hot babe.

Second only to Doodle.