Thursday, April 10, 2008

Let's Get Ready To Recede!

It's recession time, folks. And if you don't see the writing on the wall or the locust cloud darkening the horizon, get your heads out of your bungers because times are tough and about to get tougher. Sadly, we had some layoffs here today at Acme, and the mood is grim at best.

If you've never gotten the shitcan, you should experience it sometime. Just so you know what it's like. I'm no stranger to the game, especially as a temp, assignments begin and end, often with no notice. I'll never forget the time I returned to my job after Christmas vacation, and one of my colleagues, upon seeing me in the hallway, took a double-take as if he had seen a ghost:

"Anne? Hi?"

"Hey! How was your Christmas? What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"What are you doing here?"

"What do mean? I just got back from...wait a minute---did I get fired when I was on vacation?"

"Um...yeah. They didn't tell you?"

"No. Nobody told me. Awkward?"

"Yeah."

"Alrighty! I'll guess be going, then."

"Ok. Bye, Anne."

"Bye!"

4 comments:

whipcreamy said...

you didn't get the shitcan, did you?

anne altman said...

not yet, whip! not yet.

Moderator said...

I'm holding my breath.

Just Dave said...

Shit, and I've been on vacation last week. Heard anything?