Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

We had "early release" day at work today which was terrific because I was able to come home and take a disco nap before I go out to do some shopping for Thanksgiving. I'm going to Tuna the Fish's house in Chelsea this year, my very first NYC-based Thanksgiving! I'll arrive at five with my Signature Fall Cocktail and some sort of autumnal fruit cobbler that I can whip up without requiring me to go in the kitchen, open the refrigerator or use the oven. Methinks I'll have to open my wallet and do a box to dish transfer. After Tuna mentioned that the house dessert had been prepared a week in advance--a persimmon semi freddo. What? (Google it, bitches. I had to) Then he added, "Can you bake a pie?"

"Yes."

"Anne. Can you really bake a pie? You need to tell me."

"Yes. I can! I've done it. It's happened." (thinking, I'm so not making a crust)

"A good pie?"

"Yes, you jerk!" (thinking, maybe i'll have to buy this bitch from an adequate gourmet store) 

Alright, but you need to know that what you bring through this door must arrive in a glass dish."

When I got up from my nap, I noticed that Doodle had evidently unloaded all of her Friskies Chicken Meaty Bits supper directly next her dish. If I feed her too many chunks at once and she gets excited about dinner, she'll do this. I imagine it went something like this: 

Sniff bowl, head in bowl, CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP head up, look around, head down CHOMP CHOMP head up, look around, smack lips, head back in bowl CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP. head out of bowl, swallow, lip smack, swallow, hard swallow, belly lurch, lip smack, belly lurch, head in bowl, CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP, head out of bowl, belly lurch, swallow, belly lurch... pause...BLARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
lip smack. lip smack. sniff pile of puke, lip smack, saunter away. give Anne dirty look. clean face. dirty look. return to scene of crime ten minutes later and meow for supper to be served. 



Cleanup revealed that the meaty bits Blarp took the finish off the hardwoods in a blob that resembles Brazil. I wonder what this toxic mixture might do for my bikini line. 

After this cup of tea, I'm off to the supermarket and the liquor store. Let me know if I can pick you up anything. 

I do hope you're all where you want to be for the holiday, kids, and if not, I hope your hearts are. 

2 comments:

Just Dave said...

I am in Houston with the wife and MIL. I would prefer to be in Denver with the snow but, where the wife is on a holiday, so am I. Have a great Thanksgiving and see you next week.

anne altman said...

we'll leave the lights on for you.