Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TWO CAN ANNE'S 21 Day Triathlon: Day 9 Pending



Tonight I was talked into "one drink" after work. One drink. Please. I don't think I've actually had "one drink" in the past 15? years I've been getting "a drink" with people. Unless I'm on a terrible blind date, which is often, but even in that case, I may have two just to get you over the disappointment and back on my way home. "One drink" is generally like one Skittle. It just doesn't happen.

Everyone knows "getting a drink" usually means three, and always means two. But tonight, my buddy and I both had other places to be and had a hard out from his wife's company happy hour, all cool people we'd normally have the regular "one drink" with: three. 

My excuse was the marathon (formerly known as the triathlon), so naturally it was on my mind, and when we met up with everyone, I ordered a Jameson on the rocks (lower carbs than beer?) and unsolicitedly, obnoxiously discussed my new Fitness Experiment: 

"Yeah, so just 32 minutes or more a day, and I'm, you know, just tracking the changes I see and feel. It's mind over matter, really. My body says no, it's tired, but my mind says, yes, you made a commitment, you jerk. They say it take only 21 days to change a habit, so I'm testing that out."

Jessica, a woman I had just met, concurred with, "That's right. 21 days." 

"Yeah," I joked (but secretly thinking I'm so great a little bit that I'm actually 8 days in to my fitness thing), "I still totally hate it, every time I have to do my fitness thing, but when I'm super fit on Day 21, and I'm all and cute and stuff, I promise you I won't turn into one of those people who's like, super into fitness and braggin' about it. I mean, I'll still hate it. I'll still be me, I'll still be just lil' ol' Annie from the block, it's just that I'll be super cute, and fit. And hopefully just a little more committed to fitness."

Then someone else added, "Jessica just ran the New York Marathon."

 [pause] 

"Wow, well. Of course she did! 

*awkward smile * gulp* 

We're just really into fitness, aren't we, Jessica."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm struggling--and hard--with 32 minutes of NOT on the SOFA, and this broad ran hundreds and HUNDREDS of miles for years and YEARS to run 26 miles. TWICE. On purpose. SOBER. And not ONE person was chasing her with a knife. 

Ridiculous. 

Check, please?


7 comments:

Sans Pantaloons said...

You are my heroine.

anne altman said...

thank you, sans. i'm proud to be so.

whipcreamy said...

If it were me, I would have said something like, "how about those crazies who do the Boston marathon?" It's apparently way harder than the NY marathon...oh, and you know what is supposed to be the easiest? San Diego marathon (all flat) and the Disney marathon.

anne altman said...

of course you'd know about the disney marathon, whip...

Del-V said...

It takes 21 days to change a habit? The guys at the intervention told me it was going to take 12 steps. I figure I'll do 2 steps a day for 6 straight days. I'll be drinking again by next weekend.

Elizabeth said...

you know how our muscles ache after a day in which we work out a little? well, i haven't worked out in a couple of years BUT today i got a flu shot and my arm really hurts. i feel like i was lifting weights. i feel like i am getting in shape. it's sorta cool.

anne altman said...

eeeew. i hate shots. the only thing preventing me from being a heroin addict.