Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Have I Told You Lately How Much I Love Stephen Sondheim?

Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd


Sondheim is a genius.


I realize this word, genius, is abused and overused, but I only say it once in awhile, mostly when talking about Abraham Lincoln or the person who invented pizza (is pizza delicious or what?), so clearly, you should trust me.

I was introduced to Sondheim's magic back when my sister had a role in Sondheim's Company, which is such an amazing show that I still find myself singing some of the songs ten years later. This weekend I saw his Sweeney Todd, Demon Barber of Fleet Street on the silver screen and I urge you to see it. You need 4 more reasons to see it other than Stephen Sondheim's great music and hilarious lyrics?
  1. Tim Burton
  2. Johnny Depp
  3. Helena Bonham Carter
  4. Sacha Baron Cohen

Fantastic.


1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I love this show so much and want to see the movie so bad who wants to babysit my kid, huh?