Wednesday, August 11, 2010

For the Very First Time

Doodle and John, NYC ~ March 2010


Doodle came up to me and John on the sofa yesterday meowing for a little TLC, and John reached out to pet her. She wasn't alarmed, she just walked around in a few circles as she's prone to do, and his hand touched her back. As she moved, his hand smoothed over the length of her back and he ended up with a meathook full of fur. She could stand to be brushed, it's hot here these days. I think they'll be fast friends. Until, that is, he pulls her tail, which is bound to happen. I'll keep her nails clipped in the meantime.

By the way, it was Doodle's birthday on August 7, which after ten years I had actually forgotten until my mother reminded me. With the baby and all, there was no time for remembering, let alone a Birthday BLOWGANZA like we've had in years past. Coincidentally, when she sent the text, I had just left the pet store with a new catnip toy, some cat grass, and Doodle's favorite food. Though I was shopping to prepare Doodle for another weekend alone in the house, I must have known subconsciously.


Happy Eleventh (64th) Birthday, Doodle! I love you!

When I'm 64
Songwriters: Mccartney, Paul;Lennon, John

When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'til quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too
Ah, and if you say the word, I could stay with you

I could be handy, mending a fuse when your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside, Sunday mornings, go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Ah, grandchildren on your knee, Vera, Chuck and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say, yours sincerely wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more
Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?



*another coincidence: this is the song my mother sings to John

5 comments:

Sans Pantaloons said...

Happy 64th Birthday Doodle!

teri said...

She looks great for her age.

Happy birthday, ole girl.

DeeDoodle said...

Please tell her we toasted her birthday Saturday night, before I bought up all of Manhattan in Monopoly, which this old broad will share with her, another old broad.

Jenn Hyjack said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOODLE!! That's so sweet that you're Mom sings that to John. He has gotten so big and is so adorable!!
xo, Jenn

Abbi Crutchfield said...

Doodle is officially a Golden Girl! When you wrote, "She texted me," I pictured Doodle texting you. "Hellooo? I don't wear this bday suit for nothin. Cake me!"