Friday, August 27, 2010

My Kind of Town, (Chicago Is) - Frank Sinatra Live in London 1971

I'm posting this video because Greenberg is leaving NYC and moving to Chicago in a few weeks. Since he shared the news, I've made sure make sure to tell him every single day that he's making the "biggest mistake of his life." Not because he won't thrive there, but because I'll miss him. Chicago is a great town. It's just that it's not that close to a coast, you know? You're landlocked. No ocean horizon to gaze upon or beach in which to do cartwheels. And that could be weird full-time. I mean, what if there's some sort of catastrophe and you need to escape into open waters? I don't know. Other than that, I think it's a great town.

Anyhow, I'm also posting this because it's strange. Frank's hair, in particular, is strange. Talk about a terrible toupee. Didn't this guy have a friends and family? Of course he did, he was a popular dude. The Friends and Family Program is supposed to be honest with you when you wear or do stupid shit, and this hairpiece is ridiculous! Is it a case of the Emperor's New Clothes? Perhaps. In 1971, Sinatra still remembered the words to the songs, hit the notes, and was still nailing broads ad nauseam. At this time, I think he was smooching a very young Mia Farrow, if I remember correctly. You can tell he's still "got it" with his cheeky performance. Did she pretend not to notice the ferocious wig? Even though they were rocking an almost identical Rosemary's Baby 'do? Apparently.

3 comments:

Just Dave said...

Lake Michigan is so freakin' big, it is like an ocean. You can't see the other side. That being said, I still prefer NYC.

Del-V said...

I agree, the lake is pretty freakin' huge... I say it counts. Chicago is one cool place. Now you'll have a reason to visit. Plus they have the best hotdogs ever and who doesn't love the Cubs?

anne altman said...

only a jerk doesn't love the cubs!

poor things. they'll have their day...