Monday, May 04, 2009

Wit and Wisdom from Sarah Silverman

Q&A w/Sarah Silverman, comedian
by
Rosanna Greenstreet
for The Guardian, Saturday 2 May 2009

Sarah Silverman, 38, was born in New Hampshire. After a short-lived and unsuccessful stint as a writer on Saturday Night Live, she was taken on by The Larry Sanders Show. She went on to make Jesus Is Magic, a movie based on her controversial stand-up shows, and her own TV series, The Sarah Silverman Program. Last year, her video, I'm Fucking Matt Damon, became an internet sensation and earned her an Emmy. She lives in Los Angeles.

When were you happiest?
Tomorrow (hopefully).

What is your greatest fear?
Loneliness. Or maybe drowning. Or being stabbed to death by a shark.

Which living person do you most admire, and why?
Barack Obama - he's cool as a cucumber and has changed the way us Americans think of ourselves. He's done more for our collective self-esteem than anything or anyone.

What was your most embarrassing moment?
It involved bad plumbing in a public place. I don't want to talk about it, but on a separate note, someone once told me there's a Yiddish word that means "having diarrhoea at the mall".

What would your super power be?
When I hug you, it makes everything OK.

What makes you unhappy?
Sometimes giant things that I can't control, like greed or hunger or how everything fun has gone away in order to prevent possible lawsuits. Sometimes tiny things like, "Even if I do my laundry, I'll have to do it again in a week, so why live?!" And sometimes nothing at all - it just happens.

What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I look like a Jewish horse/monkey. But I'm pretty OK with it.

What is your favourite word?
Either "circumlocution" or "poop".

If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose?
Heart-swooning, poem-writing, moon-worshipping love.

What would you most like to wear to a costume party?
Sexy Hitler.

What is the worst thing anyone's said to you?
"You're not funny."

Cat or dog?
Dog. His name is Duck and he's 15. All I can think when I'm curled in bed with him is, "Don't die, don't die."

What do you owe your parents?
Everything. I realise it more and more. The other day my father left a message on my voicemail saying, "I know youah [Boston accent] busy, but if you get a chance, give a call to the guy who gave you life."

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
I'd have to say the sea.

What was the best kiss of your life?
I've had some great ones, but I'm hoping the best is still in the future.

Have you ever said "I love you" and not meant it?
Yes, an acquaintance said it to me and I panicked and returned the sentiment, thinking, "Wow, I just devalued something so special."

Which words or phrases do you most over use?
"Like", "fuck", "really", "totally" and "Jew".

How do you relax?
Television or one or two puffs of pot.

What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Perspective. When it's all tiny dots, you're too close.

Tell us a joke.
A woman is in an elevator when a man gets in. He turns to her and asks, "Can I smell your vagina?" "No!" says the woman. The man shrugs: "Then it must be your
feet."

No comments: