Friday, March 30, 2007

Stop Disappointing People With Your Terrible Stories

There are a lot of people, places and things in this world which bring me an enormous amount of disappointment. Yes, I am including myself in the list of people who disappoint me, duh. But I'm particularly disappointed by a terrible storyteller. Someone who grabs hold of the microphone, (so to speak), to blurt out their "I've got a funny story..." or to one-up someone in conversation, and then their tale really falls flat, bites, sucks, ends with a whimper, an excruciating silent fart.

If you're one of these people, there's no need to set your audience up for disappointment time and time again! Instead of opening with "I've got a funny story..." and ending with "...it was so funny..." when there's silence and forced laughter, why not try, "Here's a story I find funny..." because if they don't find it funny, they can suck it because you never promised them shit.

Try it. It works! It's what I do, anyway.

3 comments:

Chris Hinrichs said...

Sound advice, Anne. I've seen this sort of thing far too often.

Moderator said...

Oh my. I've got one for you - It's so funny. I knew this guy once that did that all the time, but worse...

Just Dave said...

Just think of the amount of grief Michael Richard could have saved himself if only he had followed your simple advice. His black hecklers probably would have just looked at each other and shrugged, saying, "It must be a white thing".