Sunday, January 10, 2010

They Should Run for Office

When I asked my super (a very sweet guy) about the chunks of rust which blow out of my kitchen sink faucet, he suggested that I run the hot water for 20 minutes.

Hmm.

Reminds me of the time over ten years ago when my old super (not a very sweet guy), suggested I get a cat as a remedy for the mice which had moved in with me.

Thanks for the tips, bros!

The hot water running solution hasn't worked out thus far (I'm well into an hour now and the water is still doo doo brown peppered with what look like coffee grounds) but the cat / mouse thing sure did, didn't it? I had no mice when I adopted Doodle, and now the only ones I ever get are the ones she brings up from her occasional escapes into the hallway and down the stairs to the basement. She brings 'em up but always takes 'em out, if you know what I mean. They don't live here long.

4 comments:

teri said...

maybe the water line is busted and picking up dirt?

anne altman said...

something's busted.

Sans Pantaloons said...

Assuming that the cold water is not affected, we can rule out work by a utility company in the street.
Also assuming that the building has a boiler to provide the residents with hot water, a plausible explanation might be that there is a hole in the heat exchanger; this allowing the heating system water to mix with the domestic water.
This would affect all residents if it were the case.

Oh, the pipes, the pipes are rusting, and I must go down by the mountain side. . .

anne altman said...

can you put a baby in rusty bathwater?