Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Where Do Doodles Come From?

Doodle will be 7 this month, and in honor of her birthday, I'll tell a little about her interesting provenance. In 1999 after our company Christmas party, a group of us went on to Pravda, so that we could get more hammered and talk more shit about people. I don't know about all of your constitutions, but generally it's safe rule to avoid nightcaps of the martini nature. But this is a martini bar, and I was young, and this is crap I used to do.

Anyway, I noticed the cute punk rocker working the coat check had a kitten in there with her. When I went with my coworker to collect our coats, I asked about the kitty. Or rather, slurred about the kitty.:

Hi you have a kitty in there can I hold her please?
Sure, do you want to adopt her? I'm looking for a home for her.
Kitteeeeeeeeeeeee! Oh, doooooodle kititeeeeeee kittieeeeeeeeeee doooooodle........Meowww...
I've adopted out all of her siblings but haven't found a home for her yet.
What's her name?
Standy.
What?
Standy. She was the only one in the litter standing.
That's sstupid name.
Do you want to adopt her? The only other guy I know is in a band and he'll never be around...
I'd love a kitty but I'm shitbanged. Prob'ly not a good idea to adopt while intoxicated.
I can get your number and call you in the morning? She's had all her shots...
Yess call me in th'morning thatsbetter here' s m' card bye. Bye doodle kitty kitty doodle.


As we left, my friend said, "If you get her, you have to name her Doodle. It's the first thing you said when you picked her up." What seemed like five minutes later, the phone rang the next morning. "Do you still want the kitty?" Ugh. What am I going to say, that she's not cute enough? Please. "Bring her on over," I said. And then up came Miss Punk Rocker and "Standy" with a litter box, scoop, and some food and toys. I got a little history: Apparently the kittens were an abandoned litter found in an alley between East Village tenements. They were each rescued by the lowering of a basket on a rope. Picturing Doodle in a basket being raised up to a window is hilarious to me.

When Miss Punk Rocker left, she cried, and I was hungover. I looked at Doodle formerly known as Standy, she looked at me. The light of day exposed her mangy tail and ears. I said, "Hey, there, kitten. I'm going to go back to bed. Make yourself at home, we'll get to know each other in a couple of hours."

The end.

PS For those Doodle fans who haven't seen her movies, please, do check them out. She's a piece of work, alright.

7 comments:

Teri said...

Anne, that was a great story as well as a great video. I love Doodle. how did you teach her to go on the toilet or is she so talented that she just picked it up on her own?

anne altman said...

please. i trained her. took about 3 months. she doesn't prefer it to kicking turds round in a sandbox.

@alyssa ettinger said...

miss harriet-kitty will be 12 this month; she was rescued from the projects in paterson NJ and looks a lot like doodle. only she hates the sink.

Elizabeth said...

standy!!!!!!!! that is so funny!

anne altman said...

her sister's name is Sendy because she always hit the Enter key on the keyboard, apparently.

anne altman said...

happy birthday, harriet!

Fargrave said...

All my cats are strays too. My oldest was found by a dumpster. Someday I'll tell you my kittens story (19 of them).

By the way, Doodles rocks!

Happy birthday Doodles and Harriet!