Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Fashion Instruction Level One: So You Say You Bought a New Jacket

Dear Readers,

Let's say you buy a coat, suit jacket or blazer with a slit/pleat in the back. A pleat is a cut in the fabric formed into two flaps. 9 times out of 10, the manufacturers put a loose stitch that tacks the pleat sections together so they don't get wrinkled or smushed in shipment or storage at the store. Don't fall victim to this temporary "X" stitch and walk around in public with the "X" stitch still in, the pleat puckering around your huge ass. As you can see from the diagram I have sketched for you here, it is a TEMPORARY STITCH, for you to remove once you get the garment home. Not unlike the cardboard in a shirt collar. In other words, TAKE OUT THE STITCH IN THE PLEAT, because IT IS A PLEAT AND NOT SUPPOSED TO BE STITCHED. Sometimes it's referred to as the kick pleat, and how are you going to kick in your jacket with your pleat stitched together? You're not.
Get your shit together.

17 comments:

whipcreamy said...

yes....get your shit together....but i have a question. what about when your pockets are sewed shut in an blazer....they are just for show, right?

newbluebaby said...

Remember when the teach had to leave the room and she put someone in charge to make sure no one talked or get out of hand? They were TEMPORARY SNITCHES.

Bumpkyn said...

I really don't think people know to remove the temp stitches. I see them all the time, so much so, that I have begun to question myself for removing them.

Lauren K said...

You too can kick the kick pleat stitch!

@alyssa ettinger said...

it's like those people who leave the label-thingy on the end of the sleeve of their winter coats. it's not like it says "prada" or anything; it's usually fabric content, morons

anne altman said...

leaving stitched pockets shut is ok, because puckered pockets make people look fat. i know they don't slim me down.

anne altman said...

temporary snitch: the same douche that says at the end of class, "Aren't you going to ask for our homework?"

Del-V said...

Why does my tailor give me the left-over fabric from my suits after he alters them? Does he expect me to keep it -- because I have been throwing it away.

Berry said...

Thank you! Thank you!!!! I gave up kicking altogether a few years back because of that stitch. I've missed it SO much!

geeksters said...

Ahh, maybe that's why I haven't gotten a job yet. Or maybe it's a combination of temporary stitches and laziness.

Susan said...

I've done that unknowingly...

Valerie said...

Ok, pleats are for people on the East Coast. We peeps out here don't give a rats ass about them.

anne altman said...

We on the east coast give a rat's ass about rat's asses.

Valerie said...

as you should, they are everywhere, aren't they? :)

anne altman said...

del-v, my only guess is that your tailor believes you may come back for some special matching suited thongs?

patrin said...

You should do another installment about the temporary stitches in blazer pockets...

Pink Meat said...

It only took me 20 mintues to find the answer to the great kick pleat question (esp. since I didn't know it was called a kick pleat)
THANK YOU!