Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Aaron Spelling, RIP

Aaron Spelling, the father of addictive trashy t.v. died last week and was buried today in Los Angeles. What do we know about Aaron Spelling? Well, he was a scrappy self-made millionaire producer who was born in a ramshackle house in Dallas and went on to build the biggest mansion Beverly Hills had ever seen.

What else?

He was married to Morticia Addams on the original t.v. series. They got divorced and then he married Candy and had Tori, who let's face it, has a funny face. But I'm not going to say much more than that, she just lost her Dad and all.

What else?

Oh, yes, Aaron Spelling created Fantasy Island! Which scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. FANTASY ISLAND! Has anyone seen that show recently? How scary is it?

Not that scary!

So these people come to the island to fulfill their fantasies and sometimes those fantasies were misguided, and Mr. Roark and Tattoo would teach them a scary lesson using magic somehow about not to be greedy and then it would get dark and then lightning would strike or a snake would get thrown in there somewhere, and I'd think to myself, "Holy shit! Get off the island! Get off the island!!Mr. Roark is making his mean face!" By the end of the episode everything would be all hunky dory, the sun is shining and Ricardo Montalban (Mr. Roark) and Tattoo are back to all smiles.

Years later Tattoo (Herve Villechaize) would go on to off himself in somebody else's back yard, but I'm totally off topic now, which was Aaron Spelling: a genius may he rest in peace.

and

Fantasy Island: not a show for kids.

4 comments:

Peter Matthes said...

Fantasy Island was my favorite show when I was a little kid.

That and perhaps A-team.

Fantasy Island was COOL and Mr. Roark was a bad ass! I think there was even an episode or two where Mr. Roark (Latino lover Ricardo Montalban) battled the devil himself. OH YEAH!

I also liked the way Barbi Benton would be on Love Boat, and then would show up on Fantasy Island a few weeks later. Who'd have thunk it?

I guess Aaron Spelling did.

Rest in peace Aaron.

newbluebaby said...

I liked when Mr. Roark threatened to chase Admiral Kirk 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before he gave him up.

Valerie said...

de plane de plane! RIP Tatoo!

newbluebaby said...

I felt so bad when Tori broke her leg at the Kentucky Derby.