Sunday, July 29, 2007

Jade Mountain Restaurant


I posted recently about the sad closing this year of Jade Mountain Restaurant which opened on Second Avenue in 1931. This weekend the family had a Jade Mountain tag sale to sell the joint's contents, as they've rented the space to another tenant. I spotted the sale on my way downtown last night, and this afternoon I returned to purchase a little Jade Mountain history for myself: 4 Buffalo China small oval dinner plates and 8 bowls (4 small and 4 large), a few matchbooks and a menu. In my chat with Steve, the owner's grandson, I learned the reassuring news that the neon will not be destroyed. He's already gotten a few offers for the large JADE MOUNTAIN; if he doesn't sell it, he says he'll donate it to a neon museum in Colorado. Thankfully, Steve's keeping the CHOW MEIN sign for himself; Grandpapa Chan can rest peacefully knowing that.


Jade Moutain Restaurant Tag Sale

Second Avenue, NYC

July 28, 2007


No comments: