Thursday, November 30, 2006

"Life is Just One Damned Thing After Another": E.G. Hubbard


Elbert Green Hubbard. Just one of my many dead heroes. Founder of the Roycroft movement, artist, philosopher, writer. The only bummer part about this cat is that L. Ron Hubbard is related to Elbert Green via adoption somewhere down the line. But L. Ron is no reflection on his ancestor. Here are some great quotes by Elbert:

1) "An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness."
2) "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."
3) "Life is just one damned thing after another."
4) "Never explain—your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway."
5) "To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
6) "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive."
7) "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

I like #5. Lord knows I'd like to avoid some criticism sometimes. Impossible. 4 and 5 are good too.

2 comments:

geeksters said...

I like 2.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I'm all about number 4. I usually get into trouble when I start explaining things.