Sunday, November 12, 2006

Things I've Never Done Before

View of the Manhattan Bridge from 135 Plymouth Street in Brooklyn

I decided yesterday that in order to celebrate fully the shift in power in Washington that it was high time that I attend a party--in this case a MoveOn.org party-- by myself. Why? So that I might be able to meet some new people. And force myself out of the house and do new crap I don't want to do. This gig happened to be in a spacious and strange loft in DUMBO, Brooklyn with an amazing view of the Manhattan Bridge. Having never been to DUMBO or gone to a MoveOn.org party by myself or a MoveOn.org activity anytime, the stage certainly was set for some serious unknown. I brought my camera, brought some beer and hoped for the best.

135 Plymouth Street, Brooklyn

Garbage (paper recycling?) next to 135 Plymouth Street



On my way up to the loft I met Randy a fine fellow and jazz musician who had just parked his car outside. This was his second MoveOn party of the night, the first having been at some bar and full of militant lesbians who talked nothing but about the closeted gays in the Repubican party. Not his scene.

Here there were about 50 people of all shapes, sizes and ages milling about the space with one thing in common: weary of Bush and excited about the Senate and the House. Beverages went in the jacuzzi tub which was prominently featured in the main room and filled with icy water. It was by the beverages that I met another couple of cool cats. Ashley, an animal rights activist, and her husband Dan, a cartoonist.

Ashley and Dan

Well, an interesting evening was had. I met some nice peeps, talked about some crap, had a few drinks, and saw some new junk. I ended the night by going to moby's MoveOn party with Dan and Ashley in the meat packing district. It was one of those things were you say to the bouncer at the velvet ropes, "We're here for moby" and either everybody either thinks that you're so great, or that you're an asshole.

Anyway, cheers to change in Washington, things can only get better from here. And cheers for me doing new stuff too: Tomorrow I'm swimming for the very first time with the Coney Island Polar Bear Club.

"Swimming." That's funny. Yeah, uh, less swimming and more standing and shrieking is more like it. I will shave my legs because there will be boys there, but I'm not trimming any weeds or bushes beyond the general maintenance. I need all the warmth I can get down there, for chrissakes.

Totonnos Pizza of Coney Island afterwards! Yay. Suck it, Dominos with your "Brooklyn Style Pizza"!

7 comments:

@alyssa ettinger said...

ok, here's my question: were there eligible men there?

anne altman said...

and here i thought your question would be 'you're swimming in the atlantic in november?'

sure, there were eligible men there

Just Dave said...

Can't wait to see the pictures. Be careful, though. Front row, far right-if that's not Lou, it's his twin brother.

Berry said...

Wow. It sounds and looks very underground. Great pic of the bridge, by the way.

Now, the Polar Bear thing... isn't it early in the season for a swim? I thought January was the usual month. Is this a dress rehearsal?... kinda weeding out the wimps before the big day?

Chris Battle said...

Dan Piraro... that guy's a pretty damn good artist. Between him and Nina, I'd say you're running in the right circles. ;)

anne altman said...

AWWWWWW but what about YOU, chris?

Brandy For Sale. said...

I wish I'd known you were in Brooklyn- I live about 10 min. from Dumbo. I would have sashayed over to you and screeched "ARE THERE PIZZAS!?!"