Saturday, May 26, 2007

My Favorite Poet and You Know It: Billy Collins

I love Billy Collins' poetry. It's easy for me to understand, and it's always funny, wistful, and poignant. Here's a sonnet called "The Golden Years" which Mr. Collins describes as a sort of a epitaph to those animals displaced by the ubiquitous, fast-sprouting gated communities of suburban sprawl in which human retirees go to...live.


The Golden Years

All I do these drawn-out days
is sit in my kitchen at Pheasant Ridge
where there are no pheasant to be seen
and last time I looked, no ridge.
I could drive over to Quail Falls
and spend the day there playing bridge,
but the lack of a falls and the absence of quail
would just remind me of Pheasant Ridge.
I know a widow at Fox Run
and another with a condo at Smokey Ledge.
One of them smokes, and neither can run,
so I'll stick to the pledge I made to Midge.
Who frightened the fox and bulldozed the ledge?
I ask in my kitchen at Pheasant Ridge.
-Billy Collins

No comments: