Saturday, April 28, 2007

I Had a Wicked Red Sox Day Yesterday By Myself With Others

I don't remember the last time I spent an entire day talking about the Red Sox and about myself. I hate talking about myself, but that comes up when you tell people you are a Red Sox fan in New York City. I realize that some of you don't care about the Red Sox. My friend Dan Curry has a joke about when he did a show in Boston one time, and someone asked him, "I hope you're not a Yankee fan!" and Dan replied, "I hope you don't think I give a shit about baseball!" But I know most you care deeply about me and my day yesterday (as Red Sox related as it may have have been), so I'm obliging, for majority's sake, and here you go.

As I mentioned earlier, I solo-attended the BLOHARD luncheon at the Yale Club yesterday, and being a crappy photojournalist (as well as a crappy regular-type journalist), I only snapped four pictures before my camera died. Here they are:



I took this shot in the elevator on the way up to the thing. If you were curious about the median age of the kids in the BLOHARDS club, the elevator shot should be a good clue. Look carefully.

Host Joe Cosgriff, John Pizzarelli (left) and part of his trio (right, with bass)

Radio's own Joe Castiglione and Red Sox pitcher Kyle Snyder

Here's the room. Beautiful space. I was also wearing a blue blazer with gold buttons too, so I fit right in. Minus the not wealthy, male, or old part.

Chris, one of the owners of Professor Thom's on 2nd Avenue and 13th Street (the site of the old Flamingo East) came to say a few words about his new bar and that it should be everyone's destination to watch Red Sox games as it's a safe place for fans in the city to watch NESN without restraint and unburdened by Yankee fans or other obnoxious distractions. Chris is from Brighton, and his Masshole accent was so thick it almost seem put on, and such a refreshing thing to hear at the Yale Club. I haven't heard it in awhile.

So, that night, I made sure to watch the last few innings of the game at Professor Thom's. It's a huge space and sure enough, because of the Sox/Yanks series it was crammed. Everywhere you look, you can see the game because the amount of televisions behind the bar, along each wall, and at a few booths (which you can reserve) personal flat screen televisions are placed like ye olde table-top juke boxes of yore.

Thom's played "Nessie" and "Sweet Caroline" and all the good stuff in between innings just like they do at Fenway, the food is good, and all of their cocktail waitresses wear little Red Sox jerseys. I asked one very tall and beautiful Ramirez, where she got her jersey and she said, "You'll have to ask my boss, I don't know, but I hear he (Ramirez) is supposed to be good." Well...he's been better. Anyway, the jerseys are from the Kids' Section at Paragon Sports. I'm gonna pick myself up an Ortiz one. The corner booth was rowdy with a Japanese camera crew who were filming the crowd and the Dice-K Matzusaka vs Godzilla Matsui matchup. They'll have tons of Masshole footage, that's for sure, as there was a group 10+ strong of Mass/NH fans who were in town for the game today. You guys know Kev, Jeff, and Mahk, don't you?

I'll be back to Thom's.

So far, the Sox lead the Yanks 1 game to zero in this series, making this the Yanks' 7th loss in a row.

GO SOX!

No comments: