Monday, September 08, 2008

Any Plans for 9/11?

Me? I'm gonna do what I did last year.

What's that, you ask? Well, as a New Yorker, obviously, I have plans. Those plans: Honoring the General Slocum Disaster. Duh. Fine. Sure, I don't have a Made-in-China ribbon magnet on the back of my car--or a car for that matter because I'm so broke I can't afford a bicycle--to commemorate it, but I was born an American, and I adhere by the American mantra that we Never Forget the General Slocum, and I won't, goddamn it. Look, I'd honor 9/11 on Columbus Day, but I'm plum booked up that weekend. I'm all about Italians thinking they discovered America, then flying to Vermont to see the Fall foliage. The colors are supposed to be wonderful this year factoring in all the rain and whatnot, so happy 9/11 if I don't see you. My love to you and yours. It's my hope you get extra chocolate whatevers in your 9/11 basket for being good boys and girls.

*If you don't have plans for 9/11 don't fret: in a 100 years, folks won't know what you're talking about, let alone care. In America we burn books! Not flags, yo! Reading is gay! Remember the General Slocum. Remember?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out here on the West Coast, we're still grieving for all you New Yorkers and hope you all have (maybe) recovered from that horrible attack that Sadaam and his Iraqis did on 9/11. It's a good thing we're in there (Iraq) and it's sure helping me recover from my grief (out here) knowing that US soldiers are dying daily in honor of the victims of 9/11.

Most countries would have rolled over and taken it (the pain of 9/11) but thank God we're over there (in Iraq) inflicting guilt and death on our attackers...we're really showing them, yes we are...

Although it's nice that we're in Iraq wreaking vengeance for 9/11, I'm actually hoping that we (as a nation) will find the true mastermind of all the horror that currently infects the globe (Osama Bin Laden) soon and knock him over the head and make him pay us back in kind for all our pain and suffering over what his friend Sadaam (and Iraq as a nation) did to our country.

Jessie said...

We generally commemorate 9/11 with a reenactment of the General Slocum's demise in the creek behind our house. I think it is my turn to be Captain van Schaick this year!

Micgar said...

Geez-first commenter-even I don't use that many parenthetical remarks! damn!