Thursday, March 01, 2007

It's Time For Tom Sawyer and You Know It

I credit my dear friend Sharon for introducing me to (among many other things) the magic that is RUSH. Way, way, back in the day, when we were in Junior High. That she has an older brother didn't hurt; we benefitted from early introductions to sweet music. At the time, only the extreme burners or Dungeons & Dragons nerds in our class were into RUSH. And even though it's great rock, RUSH gets a strange rap. They're Canadian. Perhaps that's why.

But they're not as strange as YES. (I love that they disallow imbedding) My ex-boyfriend went to see YES a few years ago; his company had a box at Madison Square Garden and got comp tickets to everything. When I asked him about the show, he said, "It was weird." I asked why. "Because there were a lot of YES fans there. YES fans are weird." And they are weird. Weirder than RUSH fans.

But are they as weird as Gong fans? Anyone out there familiar with the band Gong? If you do, you're weird. (Pip Pyle of Gong's Funeral)

Now, please dig Tom Sawyer. By RUSH.

4 comments:

piglet said...

No.

Tanya Espanya said...

Oh man! My husband is a total prog rock freak...It's so funny because when I met him he was (and still is) super clean cut and not stoner looking at all. And when I look at his photos from when he was in his teens and 20s, I always tell him I would never have dated him (he's 10 years older than me...)

I can't stand Yes, Rush, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Deep Purple and all those bands...(not that there's anything wrong with them...)

Berry said...

Wow... I heard Tom Sawyer two days ago during the "Retro Lunch Hour" on the car radio, and sang along with it at the top of my lungs. Funny I should run into this song twice in the same week!

I spent my teenage years attending the annual Rush concerts in Montreal. They were (and still are) like gods around here!

Dale said...

Rush are like well, rock stars here!