Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wicked Good New York Story

I have a million great stories. Ok, not a million stories, probably closer to a thousand. And they're not all great. But I've got at least a hundred great New York Stories. Here's another great one by Leslie Arfin, author:

"I was on the F train, and this homeless guy was asking for money so he can renew his prescription. He said he's addicted to opiates, and he had irritable bowel syndrome, and if he didn't take his opiates- meaning heroin or whatever- that he had irritable bowel syndrome. He then proceeded to pull down his pants to show the entire subway car that he was wearing a diaper, and I'm pretty sure that he started to go to the bathroom in the diaper on the train. The women next to me were crossing themselves and saying Hail Marys. You could hear a pin drop on the subway train. I've never experienced that. I was alone. It was a great moment."

Read more about Arfin and her new book, Dear Diary, in this Gothamist interview here by Ben Kharakh.

I'll have to get back to you on my best New York story. The mental Rolodex is big. I really should start writing them down, shouldn't I?

1 comment: