Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Allman Brothers Beacon Theater Run Cancelled

Due to a pesky little thing called Hepatitis C. Get well soon, Gregg.

Man, am I bummed. I was so looking forward to it this year.

Newbluebaby just delivered the disappointing news by forwarding me the following:

From Billboard.com
Ray Waddell, Nashville

"The Allman Brothers Band announced today that they are postponing their
annual run of 15 shows at New York City's Beacon Theatre set for May
5-24, with rescheduled dates TBA. In addition, they have also cancelled
their upcoming performances at the Wanee Festival that they host every
year in Florida (set for April 11-12, Wanee will continue as planned
despite the fact that the Allman Brothers Band will not be appearing).
For the past six months, founding member Gregg Allman has been receiving
scheduled treatments for Hepatitis C, a virus that, with these
treatments, has become curable in recent years. The treatments so far
have been successful and the virus has been eradicated from his system.

However, the recovery time from the side effects of the treatment are
taking longer than originally projected. Since the Allman Brothers Band
are known for exhilarating and exhausting concert performances they
don't want to give fans anything less than they have come to expect; so
the band members made a group decision to delay the first round of
dates. "I'm getting better but I'm still tired," says Gregg. "I need to
be at 110% to do the shows the way we do them.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support and understanding my
Brothers and our fans have given me."

The Wanee Festival featuring Gov't Mule, Bob Weir & Ratdog, Derek Trucks
and Susan Tedeschi's Soul Stew Revival, moe., Levon Helm and others will
indeed take place April 11-12 in Live Oak, FL, despite the Brothers'
cancellation. As for other Allman Brothers Band dates, a 12-concert
jaunt planned for August, including two that have been announced so far
(8/16 in Boston, MA and 8/23 in Camden, NJ), will go on as scheduled.
The rescheduling of the Beacon Theatre run and additional fall shows
will be announced soon.
Gregg and the Allman Brothers Band appreciate the ongoing support they
have always received from their fans and look forward to seeing them
this summer. The road goes on forever..."
.
.
.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am extremely jealous that you live close enough to go and see them at the Beacon.

I too see them every chance I get..which isn't often enough.