Monday, June 16, 2008

What the Hell is a Frappe?

September 1937. Concord, Massachusetts.
"At Walden Pond, haunt of Thoreau."
35mm nitrate negative by Edwin Locke for the Resettlement Administration.

Per the sign above you'll see "milkshakes" in addition to "frappes" on the menu. Order a chocolate milkshake in the New England area and you get chocolate milk. Or milk and whatever style flavoring (Hershey's syrup or powdered Quik). A frappe is a milkshake + ice cream. For example, a black and white frappe (a popular request) is milk, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate syrup. I know this because I worked at Alyce's Ice Cream in Salem, Massachusetts in high school. I also know this because I was fat. Not like super wicked fuckin' fat, but fat enough to know that a frappe is better than a milkshake. It's better than yours.

6 comments:

Del-V said...

Bathing suits for rent? I saw lobster on the menu but I'm sure you could get crabs there too if you aren't careful.

anne altman said...

ahoy matey the saltwater sanitizes everything. our ocean's chillier up here than yours down in crab town del-v that ain't nothin' can grow on your nuts

Dale said...

Super wicked fuckin' fat is my new favourite phrase. I can use it right? Not to describe myself, I'm not super wicked fuckin' fat.

SmF732 said...

Google defines frappes as:

#1 - "A drink made by packing a glass with crushed ice and pouring liqueur over it"

and

#2 - "Frozen drinks made with espresso and powdered chocolate blended together with crushed ice and either water or milk"

Both causing the need to go #1 and #2...

alybeth72 said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE frappes. And being from NH i grew up with them.

Then my husband makes me move to PA and no one here knows what a frappe is. They just give me thick chocolate SHAKES, and dammit, that is not what I wanted!

Al said...

... I did a google to find Alyce's and came across your blog. I loved that place when I was a kid!