Monday, December 18, 2006

How Much Are Babies Goin' For These Days?


I chatted with a friend of mine at a party this weekend, and it turns out that he and his husband are seriously considering moving to New Jersey to a gay family friendly community and acquiring some kids.

I learned a lot about the baby market, and what I didn’t fully realize is just how free adoption isn’t, folks. If you can’t make a baby yourself, and were curious how much it would be to buy one, here’s an abridged version of the general price points:

Sex...................Race....................................Cost
Male......................Caucasian, Blue Eyes..................250K
Male......................Caucasian, Brown Eyes..............200K
Female .................Caucasian, Blue Eyes................. 175K
Female .................Caucasian, Brown Eyes............. 125K
Male.......................African.........................................100K
Female .................Chinese........................................ 100K
Male......................African American...........................75K
Female..................Chinese with Cleft Palate.............Free

If you like the idea of free Chinese baby girl without the cleft palate, you might want to sit downstream of the Li river with a big net and catch one yourself. And now that they've got that one dog rule, you might find a nice pooch in the net too. Insta-family! Now all you need is love.

6 comments:

Creepy said...

A girl I used to date is now engaged and they've decided to adopt a baby from another country because it's cheaper. For that kind of money I'm thinking about starting my own baby factory. Just hump, carry, spit out, then sell. Naturally I'd only be doing the humping and selling. I'm gonna need to hire some 'employees'.

Just Dave said...

Oh, and just in case they want to consider artificial insemination of a surrogate mother, you're looking at around 100K plus expenses(doctors, hospital, etc.)

Nina Paley said...

If only "traditional" breeders were charged these fees too! Then public life would be a lot less annoying.

Elizabeth said...

just another way in which single women who aren't "lucky" are screwed.

Unknown said...

Hey. Great post. You had me laughing. I hope that more people end up seeing the cost of parenting from the point of view of those of us who have to consciously make the choice. I agree with Nina if the rest of the world paid the fees like my partner and I then it would sure save us a lot of headaches.

Carolyn said...

Being an African female, I know now that I am not even worth being on the chart. That's okay - I don't want to live in Jersey, anyway.