Saturday, June 24, 2006

Blind Taste Test

Birth order theory isn't horseshit. If you're younger than your siblings, there's a huge chance you've been abused by your older siblings, and your personality has been affected to some degree because of it. Older siblings recieved all the beatdowns by the parents for breaking the all the rules and paving the road for the younger; it's no wonder they lash out like fraternity brothers do, hazing because they were hazed.

My uncle who is a few years younger than my Dad has a few things to say about birth order, I'm sure. And like my Dad, I'm the oldest sibling. Since both of my parents worked, I had to babysit my sister a lot, and when she was a pain in the ass, sometimes I'd talk her into a game of "Name That Spice".

"Name That Spice" involved me blindfolding my sis and "letting" her taste everything in the kitchen cabinet, from honey to hot sauce.

5 year olds aren't too fond of hot sauce.

Heh heh.

9 comments:

Come Back Brighter said...

Did your sister willingly play "Name that spice" or did it require some "gentle persuasion" on your part? Still, I'm sure she made your life just as difficult -- and probably still does.

Unknown said...

I remember "hide the middle sister"..it was a fun game..for the rest of us.

ms fits said...

I don't have any siblings, so usually I just pour rancid shit into my own mouth until I make myself stop by screaming for help.

Berry said...

As the youngest of 3 siblings, I learned to develop my own little game: "Talk the loudest". It was brilliant, and when my siblings reached teenagehood, it became very lucrative ($$$ for my silence, suckers).

Maulleigh said...

I totally have a big inferiority complex from being verbally abused and manipulated by my sister for years. Only now, as a thirty-something woman, am I able to see her for who she truly is and am able to stand up for myself. God; I'm kinda pissed off about it.

anne altman said...

yeah, but to not be abused would mean to have no siblings and that sometimes can cause another difficulty: Only Child Syndrome: OCS. Not every only child has it, but some do and you can pick them out of a crowd quite easily.

nouseforaname said...

I was the oldest and the only girl with a bunch of brothers - my game was piss me off and I hold you down and spit in your eyes. Yeah, we're not so close...

Bumpkyn said...

I'm the 2nd oldest of 7 and we would play many-a-game with the youngsters...like where did my sister come from and which crate did she arrive in...or perhaps..that scar on your lower back used to be a tail (hours of laughs on that one) or perhaps when I convinced my sister to cover her face in lipstick, 2 different colors, and told her all the models did it. Might have gotten in trouble for that one.

Sorry for all those who had to endure being picked on by us older ones!

Lauren K said...

That was sweet of you to limit the game to foodstuffs. Although, as an older sister myself, it makes you look soft.