Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Let's Talk Nerf

At the lake a few weeks ago, we re-discovered the joy of Nerf with a fake Nerf.


I'm lying at the end of the dock, just having snapped a picture of the fake Nerf flying mid-air as the nerf was tossed back and forth in the water.

What we learned:

  1. Nerfs (or at least fake Nerfs) aren't waterproof. They get soggy and heavy and pieces start to fall out of their spongy constitution.
  2. It's fun while it lasts.

Nerf was most likely created as an answer to the dangerous toys from the 70s like Jarts. Part of the fun of Jarts in addition to managing to get the lawn dart to land inside the ring, was the risk that it would land in one's thigh, or better yet, someone else's thigh. That is, of course, if you didn't consider a trip to the emergency room a buzzkill on a family reunion.





But, Nerf still does spell summer.



You can get a decent spiral going with a Nerf, but not as good as a traditional football I find (a smaller version of a traditional football, for smaller meathooks like mine). Nonetheless, the Nerf brings back memories. Nerf was there when I had my first crush on a boy. Nerf was there when I drank my first beer. Nerf was there when I was arrested for the first time. And in the big house? Nerf was there.

Now kids are obese and don't know what a Nerf is. Makes me wonder if they're admitted to the emergency room these days because they think it's edible.

7 comments:

Berry said...

I do happen to have a "dangerous Nerf" story, one that involves tossing a Nerf football around on a school bus, and having it land squarely on the back of a very startled (and old) bus driver's head.

(wait... the bus driver was startled, not his head. In case any grammar police officers are reading this...)

But anyway... more importantly, what brand of snorkel masks are those sitting on the dock? (seriously)

anne altman said...

that brand, berry my dear, is what we call in my world, free.

in other words, i have no idea. fell off of the back of the truck style.


i can find out the next time i'm up.

whipcreamy said...

reminds me of the SNL skit called CONSUMER PROBE. Dan Akroyd is a guest on Candace Bergen's show and is informing her about the dangers of the common toy...including a nerf ball...

Valerie said...

you said it sister! Nerf and jarts are the epitomy of summer.

ahhhhhhhh. To remember the first time I got arrested. Man, those were the day.

Peter said...

What about slip and slides? People bust their ASS on those things and their still around. I think the government is behind it.

Chris Battle said...

Can't wait for Virtua-Nerf for Playstation 3.

anne altman said...

regardless, there were cuts either way.

blood in either the grass or the pool, you decide.