Friday, July 28, 2006

Phone Phun

My friend Jim, whom I hadn't spoken to in a long time, called me on my cellphone this afternoon. I don't get good reception in my office, so I told him to call me back on my office telephone. Since I'm a temp, nobody in my life outside of the office ever knows my office number. And since nobody in my life outside of the office ever knows my office number, nobody outside of the office ever calls me on it.

So, I gave him the office number.

One second later the phone rang. I picked up with a:

"What's up, ASSWIPE?"

And I heard in response:

"Why am I an asswipe?"

It wasn't Jim.

Luckily for me, it was a fellow temp. But it sooooooo soooooooo soooooooo could have easily been my last day today.

Admittedly, it would have been a funny way to go. I'd be giggling as I packed up my office.

Ha! What's up, asswipe indeed!

7 comments:

whipcreamy said...

holy shit! i am glad it was a fellow temp.

Teri said...

oh, that was funny!!!!!

Valerie said...

D'oh!!!! Watch what you say.

My problem is that I sometimes (at my second job) pick up the phone and say my first jobs company instead. ooops!

Berry said...

OH MY GOD! I would have totally pretended to be a wrong number if it turned out to be someone important.

Holy crap that's funny!

la nadine said...

at least you didn't answer the phone singing 'golddigger' to the maker of your parents' gravestones, thinking he was your friend sam.

my parents would be so proud.

newbluebaby said...

Once I worked at a place answering phones. The phone rang and a strange electronic voice was on the other end. I figured it was my friends pranking me. I hung up on the voice.

An hour later the doorbell rang.

The was the man with the voice box in his hand.

I was a tad embarrassed and a tad sweaty.

anne altman said...

now you hear that voice in your dreams. also known as nightmares?