Thursday, July 20, 2006

My Good Deed For Yesterday

"Blurred Memories", by Phong

Phong is an Asian elephant who was rescued as a baby from the streets of Bangkok and now lives in Northern Thailand at the Thai Elephant Conservatory. He began painting a few years ago at the Lampang Elephant Art Academy. He's also an accomplished xylophonist! Hello? Xylophonist! PHONG RULES! I purchased one of his paintings yesterday called "Blue Fields" here and it's gorgeous. Proceeds go to the Conservatory. They need all the help they can get to save more of these beautiful, amazing animals from poachers and their rapidly disappearing natural habitats. People suck, people. Good grief, do I hate people. But I love people who save elephants because I love elephants.
Elephant dung makes great paper, apparently, as it's all grass and good for the enviroment and stuff. This is a cool video that shows you an elephant painting a bouquet of flowers.

Wanpen, Flowers, #68



It's so cool! Then it shows you elephants taking dumps and how they make the paper. See art for sale at wonderful prices the gallery here. Proceeds support the elephants themselves and also to children to educate them and build awareness.


Elephants don't (and won't) forget your kindness...

17 comments:

whipcreamy said...

there's dolphin that does art too, but the art sucks...it's just people trying to make a buck...

anne altman said...

don't rain on my elephant parade, whipcreamy! dolphins are wonderful too, but i can't save the world.

elephants are my bag. yes, there are people out there trying to make a buck, but you need to research why. in this case, 'tis a good cause. in the end, you'll never really know 100% where your dollar is going and it takes a leap of faith.

better it goes here than in that cup of the guy in the wheelchair outside of mcdonalds who runs for the bus at the end of the day.

Valerie said...

ohhhhhhh, how awesome!!!! I love elephants too. But monkeys are my bag.

Man, I want to be one of those guys who gets to take care of his own personal elephant everyday.

Damn, people do suck. Hate anyone who's killed a elephant. Damn you people!

Koko the Gorilla also paints.

I love animals. Good job Anne! You RULE!

Del-V said...

Thank you for showing me yet another use for elephant poop.

I heard that some cats can also paint.

whipcreamy said...

wasn't knocking it, wasn't knocking it...but the dolphin art really was bad...this elephant art is cool!

so you're fightin the elephant fight, huh?

Dale said...

My mother collects elephant figurines. Maybe I'll see if the elephant can make me an elephant and then give it to her. Save the elephants but remember to use all your other powers for evil.

Peter said...

I can't watch videos at my job. Did an elephant really paint those flowers?

anne altman said...

yes!

Peter said...

That's incredible. Someone should look into what's going on there. Can they paint other stuff too, like lions and carnys...

Carolyn said...

Wait, what?????

This is not the first time I have been trumped by an elephant.

I can't paint flowers, and I can't eat peanuts with the shell on.

Phong for President!

anne altman said...

right, on, carolyn!

PHONG FOR PRESIDENT IS RIGHT!

PHONG IN 2008!
PHONG IN 2008!
PHONG IN 2008!

geeksters said...

Elephant poop paper is cool and doesn't even smell like anything. I'd like to write people notes and tell them what the paper's made of while they're holding the it.

anne altman said...

PHONG & ALTMAN IN 2008

Bumpkyn said...

I like the elephant art, very cool, but turtles are my thing.

Monkeys are cute, but they throw their poo. They also can control your mind (watch Monkey Shine)

anne altman said...

bumpkyn, please, you throw your poo too. the lactarded incident you had at the pool party has been seared into everyone's memory

anne altman said...

but i digress. this post was about SAVING THE ELEPHANTS. PHONG FOR PREZ!

Bumpkyn said...

Hey, shit happens!