Monday, July 17, 2006

Nice Box

For all the high society bashing I've been doing of late (and my entire life), I will admit that in this blazing humidity, it was great being better than everyone else tonight at Yankee Stadium. Sure, I had to ride the subway and stand in line at Gate 4 with the sweaty plebes, but I knew once I reached the Mickey Mantle Suite, Loge 13, things were going to change: Some of us were to remain sweaty, and some of us weren't. I knew which one I was.

And when I arrived, the air conditioner was blasting, the food and booze were out, I got a seat in the front row, and the game (and several television sets) was just about to start.

Though to be completely honest with you, it could have been a tiny bit colder, and I'm not one to complain about that kind of stuff, but I'm just saying.

Anyway, the Yanks beat the Mariners, but the Sox beat the Royals, so nah nah nah nah nah nahhhh. We're still a half game ahead, and I got to get out of my sweltering apartment for the evening. Lord knows I can't afford to crank the AC like the stadium did.

Or should have, rather. The Yanks have the biggest payroll in all the land. They couldn't have helped a sister out? Why is the coldest place I can get is the lobby of my office building? I'm only there twice a day, and that's when I least likely have time (or want) to hang around in there and enjoy it. Life = not fair.

The point of this story: Once in a great while, people like me and give me stuff and I take it.


GO RED SOX

4 comments:

KleoPatra said...

Great story, Anne.

Maulleigh said...

I know what you mean. Every now and then I'm in the right place at the right time: some friend knows someone at a club and I get in free. Or I know someone who works at X and I get this or that service or product free. And it works both ways: I've worked places and passed on the savings. Not as much: but it's nice.

Lauren K said...

I almost had to fight a bartender last night. He disappeared as soon as it was 4-4.

anne altman said...

good thing!