Monday, September 25, 2006

Anne's Visit to the 2006 San Gennaro Festival

Last night was the final day of the San Gennaro feast in Little Italy, a much-loved 79-year old tradition of greasy food and greasy people. Oh, right--and a salute to San Gennaro himself, the Patron Saint of Naples. I would have stuck some dollar bills on that cat and everything but having lost my job and all...

Here is a series of photos I managed to take before my battery pack ran out. What you won't see: the Dunk the Clown Tank. That bitch was sinking too fast for a clear photo. What you will see: Guidos, guidettes, cops, fried Oreo's (you know how much I love the possessive Oreo), greasy zeppoles in paper bags, and last but not least, hip, very current stuffed toys like Gizmo. Step right up, folks, even if you lose, you win.

The best part of the evening that is not documented here was an incredible live doo-wop band called "Just Friends." The majority of these guys were in their sixties, and their rendition of "In the Still of the Night" made me feel like I was back in the 1950's again. Very, very cool.













8 comments:

newbluebaby said...

Bright light! Bright light!

Bumpkyn said...

I'm sad I missed it!! Damn my laziness and the fear of rain!! What is wrong with me, where do I start!

Elizabeth said...

tell me about the fried oreos. all i want in my life is to try one. i went to a county fair and no dice. guess i need to take it one more step to the state fair.

anne altman said...

state fairs will present you with fried oreos galore (oreo's) and your trouble will be deciding which stand from which to partake! my recommendation: eat only 1/2 of one.

Lauren K said...

Fried Oreo's are transcendent of both fried and Oreo.

Two is pretty much enough, but I don't think you can purchase less than 6.

seb cheshire said...

I think my sinuses were cleared this morning for the first time in years.

Just Dave said...

It was fun, wasn't it? I was in town for a highly boring meeting but getting to go to the festival made up for some of it. I was there Tuesday night. How did I miss the fried Oreos?

Brandy For Sale. said...

I want to behead Gizmo.