Friday, September 29, 2006

The Hope Cemetery in Barre, Vermont

There's a granite quarry in Barre called Rock of Ages and a cemetery called Hope. Both have been there since forever, and the rocks have been there longer. Italian stone carvers came over to this country to work and settled in up Granite City, the site of the quarry. The rich ones are buried in Hope, a cemetery which is nothing less than an incredible (and free) outdoor art museum dedicated to honoring the dead in granite masterpieces.

My mother and I took a day trip to all the quarry and the cemetery one cloudy day on my vacation, and let me tell you, it was completely fascinating. OFF THE HOOK. And when I say OFF THE HOOK, which isn't very often, if at all, actually, it's good. You just know it's got to be good. These monuments went from the ridiculous to the sublime! There are not only stunning mausoleums in classic Greek style, but a carving of Coca-Cola truck because the deceased drove a Coca-Cola truck. There's a comb and scissors because the deceased-to-be is a barber. A his and hers carving of a husband and wife playing golf on either side of the monument? Got it. I took over 200 pictures that day, here are just a few. Click on them to make them larger. Read here for more information and more photos about Hope Cemetery.











This man was a husband, a father, a salesman a nature lover, and each are written and pictured on 4 of the 6 sides of this cube. The fifth thing is Together, symbolizing his marriage to his wife, depicted with the intertwining wedding bands. I can't remember what the 6th thing Mr. Martel is. Dead?
Only the best for the Red Baron.

Soccer anyone?

Doodle's got her stone picked out.

And I've got mine! All I need is a few million dollars. Anyone? Bueller?




3 comments:

Teri said...

that's a great cemetery. I wish I could be buried there.

Just Dave said...

That cemetery is awesome. So many of the newer ones just allow the same little plaque, so that all the graves are graves of army ants, exactly alike. If somebody buries me in one of them, I will come back and haunt the shit out of them.

Anonymous said...

jordans shoes
bape hoodie
yeezy 350 v2
kevin durant
bape hoodie
off white
off white jordan
palm angels t shirt
bape outlet
kd 15