Friday, September 22, 2006

Possibilities


With all this time for t.v. these days, I've been bombarded with thoughts of possibilities. Namely, Campbell's Soup Possibilities. Did you know about all the possibilities? They seem endless!

The most popular possibility appears to be tuna, noodles, peas, and Campbell's Cream of Celery soup combined in a tasty casserole called "Campbell's Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole."

I lived and loved on what I thought was called Mom's Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole for years. I got totally psyched when it was on Mom's dinner menu, and thought that the cripsy crushed potato chip crust was all her idea. I can't fully describe how much I loved it--I honestly could not get enough of that shit.

Last year on a cold wintry night, I was feeling wistful and nostalgic and decided to open up a can of Campbell's and cook my favorite childhood dish right here in this very kitchen. It was easy, and it was fun to look at, browning there in the oven nicely, and I thought to myself, oh man, this is going to be great!

It was inedible. Literally. Same tuna, same noodles, same soup, same peas, same potato chips. Inedible. I'd say "talk about bland..." but can you talk about bland? After shoveling out a single serving and not finishing it, I had to throw the rest of the casserole away. Doodle was like, "What the fuck, all that tuna going to waste?" There just isn't enough jalepeno pepper in the world to spice that recipie up whatsoever.

The next time I've got an inkling to revisit baked noodle and soup dishes, the food of my youth, I'm going to stop dreaming up all the possibilities and think about all the disappointments. I'd rather remember Tuna Noodle Casserole at a time when it and life didn't suck. You know? Campbell's knows.

6 comments:

Teri said...

maybe you can get your moms recipe, maybe she added something that you didn't?

anne altman said...

she sure did, and that ingredient is love.

happy mother's day, everyone.

newbluebaby said...

I was nostalgic for some childhood food as well just the other day.


Alas, I no longer have my play-doh Fun Factory.

Best blue pasgetti you'll ever have.

Teri said...

No....Anne adds love to everything she touches. maybe it was just salt and pepper she added.

newbluebaby said...

Everything she touches?


Tell that to her toaster oven!

Teri said...

well, almost everything newblue.