Monday, October 09, 2006

Have I Told You Lately How Much I Love Jimmy Buffett?


Well, I do. He's an amazing song writer and a marketing genius. My folks used to go to his shows when I was a kid. This was the late seventies early 80's, the economy was good, my folks used to sail the seas, and Jimmy Buffett would sing about the good times and even make the bad times sound pretty.

One time when I was a typical bratty teen of 13 or 14 they brought me to one of his outdoor concerts in Boston. Everyone had blankets and picnic baskets, the beer was flowing, the reefer was passed, the people were dancing, and there was me: Standing with my back to the show leaning against a tree with a scowl on my face and Madonna's first album blaring on cassette in my toaster-sized fake Walkman. What an a-hole.

Anyway, how can you waste away properly in Margaritaville without your drugs?

8 comments:

Teri said...

I know many people who are Buffett fans and the concerts here in the Philly area are unbelieveable when he comes to town.

I can understand you not being into him then Madonna was the bomb then.

Peter said...

The first restaurant I ever worked in played mad amounts of Jimmy Buffet. All the parents would drink and sing along and I hated it. I realize now he's a unique and clever songwriter but his music still makes my skin crawl.

How do you take ecstasy at sixty years of age and not end up in a wheelchair?

Chris Battle said...

That guy's a douchebag. He tried suing an awesome Hawaiian cheeseburger chain, "Cheeseburger In Paradise", a while back. Like he doesn't make enough money off his "Parrotheads"??

CBIP's burgers ROCK!!

newbluebaby said...

Were you wearing a thousand braceletts and had cross earings?

anne altman said...

probably. but i had great skin. ahh, youth, wasted on the young...

Lauren K said...

I should try more Vitamin B.

Valerie said...

word. what's Margaritaville without your X. Jeeez

Just Dave said...

Freakin' French have no sense of humor. I would need at least 500 tabs of something just to keep an even keel there.

It has been stated that, at any given time, someplace in the world, "Margaritaville" is playing on a radio.