Monday, October 16, 2006

Have I Told You Lately How Much I Love Eleanor Roosevelt?

Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884-1962

Well, I do. I saw a PBS documentary on her life last night, and indeed, Eleanor Roosevelt was remarkable. She was born into bucks but had a crappy childhood because her father was a drunk and both her parents died when she was young. She was smart, tall, toothy, awkward and anything but a complacent society woman which was what was expected of her. Instead, Eleanor threw herself into social work and making the world a better place. It goes without saying, even though I'll say it: Without her eyes, ears, and legs, FDR wouldn't have had a chance at the presidency.

One of my favorite quotes happens to be by Eleanor Roosevelt:

"Do one thing every day that scares you."

And today that thing is: Clean the fridge.




9 comments:

Berry said...

Cool. That'll also knock out the 9-items-to-throw-away thingie.

anne altman said...

fridge is safe for the moment. the scary thing has changed: going to visit my aunt in the hospital.

piglet said...

Sorry to hear about your aunt. Hope things turn out okay.

Moderator said...

I'm a big fan of Elenor Mondale, personally.

Berry said...

Jesus, Anne. The things you'll come up with to avoid cleaning your fridge.

Del-V said...

Today I am going to fight a bear.

Jen said...

I should really clean my fridge too

but I probably wont

Fargrave said...

I saw it too. Amazing woman. It's funny, because I just went to the FDR home and Pres. library last weekend up in Hyde Park. Very cool stuff. I highly recommend it.

Bumpkyn said...

when you're done with your visit to your aunt and cleaning your fridge, come do mine. I'm not there, so feel free to clean the rest of the place as well. Great, thanks, the keys are under the flower pot!