Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Oh, Yeah? Me Too!


I just did a little banking at my newly-owned neighborhood bank. Their colors used to be blue and white. Now they're red and white. Supposedly that's the only difference. Anyway, I misplaced my bank card a few weeks ago, cancelled it, then found it. The problem is, I never received the new one. My nice banking representative and I sat down to discuss the situation. He noticed my Red Sox hat, and leaned in to ask quietly (after looking around the room first):

Are you a Red Sox fan?
Yes I am.
Ok, good. I can't really talk about it too much here, but I was so excited to see the Yankees lose.
Are you a Met fan?
Yes.
Well, congratulations are in order!
Thanks! Yeah, I'm happy. But everyone here is a Yankee fan, they're so arrogant.
Hell yeah, they are. But they're quiet now, aren't they?
Yeah. I've heard Fenway is a pretty cool place. I've always wanted to see a game there.
Fenway is awesome alright. 1986 was a rough day at the park, but I'm rooting for the Mets tomorrow.
Oh, yeah, '86! Well, that's when I got hooked on the Mets. I was five, and ever since then...
.
.
.

Five?

Oh, me too. I was five too. It was fun to be five in 1986.

9 comments:

Nina Paley said...

It's more fun to be 38 in 2006.

Elizabeth said...

oh youngsters. i can't believe people were really born in the 80s.

i hate the mets. not as much as the yankees but hate them anyway.

anne altman said...

breeders are pumping them out in '06 as well!

you're allowed to hate the mets. i know you always say that the rest of the country doesn't care about the baseball rilvaries of the northeast. i find it hard to believe but i know it's true.

Berry said...

So.... was he hot?

anne altman said...

for a five year old, sure. ken foley's type.

Moderator said...

I have a baseball card signed by Bill Buckner.

Sorry to bring back the bad memories.

whipcreamy said...

liz- i thought you were a mets fan?

Elizabeth said...

i was a mets fan in 86--my first year of digging baseball. then they won the world series. i was all, shit, this is easy. so i became a cubs fan. NOT easy but it's stuck.

no, we midwesterners (even though living on the east coast) are bitter about FOX/MLB's love for New York and Boston teams. we really do not care. give us a cubs/cardinals rivalry for a good time.

Valerie said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. I wasn't even 5 in 1986. LOOOL that's fucking hysterical!

I was 10. :D