Sunday, October 29, 2006

Dear John Mellencamp

Dear John Mellencamp (formerly John Cougar Mellencamp, formerly formerly John Cougar),

I took your name change thing in stride. I've respected your music and your new names and have referred to you properly each time you've changed them. So, please do me a favor, and don't penalize me for watching football.

Your Ford "This is Our Country" ad is as annoying and tenacious as a bed bug, working it's itchy way into my brain with every repetition. It is quite cruel and unusual punishment for someone who loves sports. It's bad enough that it's played at every commercial break during the NFL, that you played it live during the World Series, but the 9/11 Red Neck imagery is weird. I thought you were against Bush's War, so what are you trying to say? Your ad is quite contradictory. Did Ford dupe you? I think they did. I think you need to send the money back. And get this fuckin' ad off the air to save my sanity. It's not saving our country. Can we just stick to Jack and Diane? Great.

Thanks,

Bye.

Love,

Anne

4 comments:

Peter said...

I used to think his songs were car commercials anyway, so this move just seems natural.

Love the 9/11 and Katrina imagery. Classy!

Some Guy said...

My aunt & uncle's names are Jack & Diane. Isn't that fucking crazy?

Lauren K said...

Not to be picky, but he's shilling for Chevrolet, I think. Not that it matters.

And it totally sucks.

As a Krueger, I'm gladder than ever that he's not Cougar anymore.

anne altman said...

someone's paying attention!!! great.