Monday, May 15, 2006

This Song is Sad


You can't make someone love you if they don't. And even if you know deep down that they do, it still might not be enough, because you need to hear it, you need to see it, you need to feel it. So you break up. And sometimes you forget that you're not in love anymore, and it's hard to move on. Because then you remember that your ovaries are exploding with dust, you're two years from menopause, you have $250 to retire on so you can't retire, and you'll be a senior citizen working the checkout counter in a truckstop, living in a trailer in the parking lot, and the truckers will have to take up a collection for your funeral. But the good news is that singles die younger than couples, so with luck you'll check out before the whole checkout counter thing.
Sigh.

Every once in awhile, a ride in a taxi cab can be cathartic. Sure, generally they're highly nauseating experiences, but on Saturday night a great song came on Lite FM, and I had the driver blast it as we sped down Fifth Avenue. It was a long ride, so I got to hear the whole song, and I was lovin' every minute of it. That Michael McDonald is a funny looking fellow, but he's got a great voice and he's one hell of a lyricist.


I Keep Forgetting (Every Time You Are Near) by Michael McDonald

I keep forgettin we're not in love anymore
I keep forgettin things will never be the same again
I keep forgettin how you made that so clear
I keep forgettin every time that you are near
Every time I see your smile
Give you a hello, can you stay a while
Heaven knows it time for you to say the things
We both know are true
But darling I keep forgettin
We're not in love anymore
I keep forgettin things will never be the same again
I keep forgettin how you made that so clear
I keep forgettin every time I hear
How you never want to live a lie
How we're supposed to follow
You don't have to tell me why
Why you going
And why the game is through
If this is not true
If this is not true
Tell me how I keep forgettin
I'm in love with you
Hey babe
Things will never be the same, again
I keep forgettin how you made that so real
Yeah yeah baby
Don't say that
Don't say that
Don't say that
I know you're not mine, anymore
Any way
Any time
Tell me how we're not in love anymore
How come I keep forgettin
Things will never be the same
I keep forgettin how you made that so clear
I keep forgettin every time you are near
We're not in love anymore
Every time you're near me
Things will never be the same
Oh baby, how you made that so clear
Every time you are near

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

the reason single people die earlier is because once they start getting sorta old, no one notices. no one takes them to the doctor, cooks them dinner, cleans the house, takes the trash out, brings home groceries. oh yeah, and you have to pay more taxes because prez bush just needed to add a little insult to injury.

Valerie said...

Michael McDonald rules!!!!

anne altman said...

supposedly we have the largest aging population in the world and there's no end in sight. that is, until that crap medicaid "discount" drug plan that bush put in place, it's so confusing that none of the old folks can figure it out and they'll be dead an gone by the end of his ...tenure. so we've got that to look forward to. less blue hairs!

Peter Matthes said...

Wow Anne.

Now you're getting into the heavy subjects.

Did someone mess with your heart? Was it that grey haired, marble mouthed Michael McDonald?

We have enough people here to form a posse and open up a frosty can of whoop ass.

anne altman said...

maybe

Bumpkyn said...

Maybe, and I could be wrong, but just maybe it’s better to have loved then to be in a crap situation w/ some guy who can’t commit (just a thought). Although they say it's better to have loved, sometimes you love the wrong person! I can vouch for this because I have loved the wrong people LOTS of times. And you do have to go through the weeds to find your one flower. Keep digging, he’s there—just be careful not to pull up a budding weed instead of a flower. God, I’m deep.
Try listening to a more upbeat song like—‘Love is a battlefield’ by Pat Benatar—I think it will perk you right up…ooohhh…we are strong…no one can tell us we’re wrong…..

Don't worry about the ovaries--you can freeze those suckers now (just another thought on my part).

anne altman said...

yeah you can freeze 'em for 45K per piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then when you thaw out that bag of frozen peas you're not sure if they're freezer burnt and useless